Thursday 14 August 2008

Japanese illustrator Juko Shimizu

This first drawing called "Sweater Tree" is so large that it's been divided into parts. It's one of Juko Shimizu's more fine art oriented works. If you go see her homepage, make sure to check out her fine art section.

"This is an ongoing project since 2002 based on the concept of mixing my illustration and fine art backgrounds to come up with 'fake book illustrations that can only function as fine art". link


Most of Juko Shimizu's work is more commercial oriented illustration, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. An artist needs to eat, and being paid to draw is a good thing.

This first picture was my first encounter with Yuko Shimizu. I love it to bits. Someone had used it for a flyer I saw in Italy, but didn't mention the artist. Today I found it again by serendipity, and got the chance to see the rest of her work:







Check out juko shimizu's online portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment